Sunday, October 26, 2008

Cribs Honduras

I tried to upload the video but I guess we made it too long, so we'll have to edit it and try again later. We absolutley love the house. This week we have been busy getting essential things like shower curtains, trash cans and a fridge, and also working on getting our alarm not to go off every 30 minutes or so (the owner forgot the code so we would just turn the breaker off, but then we didn't have electricity...) haha. We had it fixed and got a new code so hopefully our neighbors will forgive the extremely loud wake up calls.

Yesterday we met our neighbor across the street who was having a garage sale (I found a great deal on a toaster oven). She was an American from Arkansas who has been here for nine years and has started a school for the deaf, and has adopted a couple of Honduran kids. She seems like a really neat lady. Small world, cool neighbor.

So this is a fun story. We took Ariel, Darwin, and Fernando to watch the Honduras national team play Jamaica in soccer at a local restaurant. It is quite a lively place to watch a soccer game. When Honduras scores everyone jumps around and sings the same song and cheers, it is really fun, even if you don't like soccer. At the table next to us a girl asked me in perfect English if I played soccer (I was wearing an OC soccer shirt). That is how I met my new friend Ruth. We got to talking and she has played with a college in Boston. After the game was over I asked her if she ever played soccer here in a league or anything (it is not very common to meet a girl who plays competitive soccer here). She said that she did and we exchanged numbers. I didn't think I would ever here from her again, but to my suprise she invited me to come play with her team. So I did yesterday. I was really nervous, I mean I had just met this girl at a restuarnt and I didn't know anything about this team. I had so much fun, we played against some boys in a gym at the Catholic University and I loved it. The girls were really nice. They asked me to come back and play every Saturday. It has been more than a year since I have played, or done much physcial activity, so today I can barely walk I am so sore, but a good sore, a familiar sore. Soccer is something I love and something I can do to meet people and get involved outside of church work. I am pumped.

No comments: