Friday, January 9, 2009

"Con la Ayuda de Dios"

Well its been a while since I've posted last but somethings merit a posting and this story is not lacking in any way. Sorry it took so long to post this, but even though it is a couple weeks old, I think that it still rings true and I will probably never forget the simple faith of 4 children. So, a week or so right before the Christmas play we were hanging out with some of the new friends we had made during the production of the play. Rachel and I were sitting and chatting with a group of 4 children who are all related which is not rare- two brothers and a brother and sister who were cousins, ranging in age from 6-11. I had never really met these kids and didnt' know their story and was curious as to how they came to know the church in Mogote. Since they live in another colony named Australia(Australia is about a half mile or so walk further up the mountain on roads that can hardly be called roads). I was amazed that kids without any adult supervision, came to church so faithfully and happily. I asked in my spanish, so does your mom or dad attend church here? no. Do you have family here? no. After exhausting all possible questions as to how they came to attend church here in Mogote, I finally asked, So how did you end up coming here? The oldest and informal representative of the group answered quickly and confidently, "Con la Ayuda de Dios," which translated means,"With the help of God." Then was affirmed by the rest of the small group with nods and the repetition, yeah, "With the help of God." They were certain that God had worked in their lives to bring them there. This is the faith like a child that I believe the Bible speaks about. Wow. What a challange to trust God and give him credit from the example of these children. I almost fell over.

3 comments:

jessica said...

I'm crying! How precious! I have no words.

Sammie said...

that's an awesome story! Thank you for sharing!!!

Tamara said...

How humbling to hear those children speak with such faith & wisdom!