Friday, August 28, 2009

Amor y Frijoles. Love and Beans.

Honduras made it's very first movie, and it came out this week. It is about a girl who sells baleadas and it is called Amor y Frijoles. It is so Honduran. The plot is not that great... but it is about Honduras and made by Hondurans. We went to a sold out showing of it with 600 other people who were so excited to see it. The whistled and hollered when a part came on that showed Teguc. It was like watching old family videos I think because they have never seen "their own" on the big screen. Way to go Honduras.


Will and I were in Zamorano (just past Jovenes en Camino) yesterday and we happened to drive by this man... he is riding his bike and those are chickens tied upside down on the handle bars... you just never know what you might see driving down the road here in Honduras.

In other news... Will started teaching a young men's class at church on Wednesday nights. They are learning a little bit more of the bible and are practicing reading scripture and praying aloud. it is good practice for the boys to start getting involved in the church services. The boys love the class. They are so excited to have something geared towards them and I'm love attention from Will. It is a neat deal.

Tommorrow is another tamale day with the chuch ladies. I'm am excited. It a great time hanging out and getting to know them better. Amber came back today, we are happy to have her back in our midst and hopefully the stadium ministry will get started and possibly be even bigger now feeding more days during the week.

11 comments:

Tamara said...

William...just wondering if you had flashbacks to your LTC classes(Leadership Training for Christ) when you started the class, or is it just too differant?

Mom

jessica said...

That is so funny! I want to see Amor y Frijoles!

Jenn said...

so... are those chickens still alive? THAT would be crazy

Anonymous said...

Just for reference, "Amor y Frijoles" is not the first Honduran movie. That honor belongs to "Anita, la Cazadora de Insectos" from 2001.

Animecello said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Animecello said...

ok, who said the movie didn't have a good plot? Whoever wrote this analogy about the movie is wrong. I went to my country Honduras this past summer, I watched the movie and funny it was full as the other "good movies from USA" and not only that, my people even stood up and clapped, something we hardly do. I know we're small country but we are big in our hearts. By the way, it isn't our very first movie, "Anita la cazadora de insectos" was (2001) and after that they made the following movie "Almas de la medianoche" (2002). Arriba Honduras!!!

Tamara said...

I would love to see the movie with English subtitles!

Tamara

Antrikins said...

I stand corrected that this was Honduras' first movie, my mistake. About the plot: I only say it was "bad" becuase it was about being unfaithful... and a little racy in parts. I do love the fact that Honduras has big hearts and is proud of the movie, despite being a small country. I agree, Arriba Honduras!

Antrikins said...

Oh, and yes those chickens were alive. When you hold them like that they don't move but it doesn't hurt them.

Anonymous said...

This is just wonderful!!!
love fron Nc.

Anonymous said...

Hi.. Do you guys know where to find English subtitles for this film? I have a copy of the film but too bad no Eng Subs. I really want to watch it now but I don't speak or understand Spanish language. :/ Any answer would be much appreciated. Thank you. Greetings from Philippines! - Nikki :)