Monday, February 15, 2010

Update on Everything


This is a pictures of some of the Jovenes boys and staff at AGAFAM, the Honduras "county fair". It was a really neat fair, with rides, animals, stores, and tons of people. The JEC boys sold some of their woodcrafts and got the word out about Jovenes en Camino to local Hondurans. It was a great idea and a lot of fun.

Jairo's new motorcycle. With a donation from the states, we got to go with Jairo and Leopoldo to get Jairo a motorcycle. This will make it much more economical and esier for Jairo to visit Mogote. The roads to Mogote are rough on cars mechanically and economically so this is a great thing for Jairo.
I finally finagled my way in to a women's soccer league here in Honduras and I love it! It took a while tracking down who was in charge and how I could get in but finally after emailing authors of newspaper articles and meeting the director of the league I was able to get on a team. These teams are all from large companies in Teguc and the players have to work for the company with the exception of one player. I found my way after a tryout, on the Banco Atlantida team. So far we are undefeated after 3 games. I love playing and it is a great thing for me to have something to do outside of working here. My teammates are cool and it is neat to see a different part of society here and make some more friends. We play every Saturday afternoon.

4 comments:

jessica said...

Happy birthday Rachel! We love you!

So glad you are enjoying playing soccer. I'm sure it's good on many levels for you and Will!

Tell Jairo to be careful on that motorcycle. I know how they drive there.

Rebekah said...

That's really cool! What part of honduras are you in? My husband is Honduran and we are moving back to Teguc. the beginning of April. I am looking for activities for us and the kids to take part in while we are there.

Jenn said...

Nice soccer pic friend, i'll bet it was nice playing your game. : )

Erin Sowards said...

Rachel, how did it take me this long to find your blog??? I LOVE that your playing soccer there. I will have to read more so I can keep updated. I love you and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your Spirit and all that God is accomplishing through you!