Friday, September 19, 2008

Rabbits, Gecko’s, and Bananas. (A few stories from two Gringos)

Hello from Honduras. This is my first post and I’m a little nervous, but do to intense pressure from my wife and sister and mom I am more nervous about not posting than anything dumb I Might say. It feels like we’ve been here for a long time and some things are starting to seem normal which experts say is good. But there are a few things that are just going to take a little more time. Since we moved into Amber’s house every night every couple of hours I would hear the neighbors working late into the night banging a hammer, after about the 3rd night I commented to Rachel and said, “those guys are some hard workers, working late into the night till 9 or 10 every night.” She said, “Will… don’t you know what that is, that is a Honduran bird!” So the issue was settled and for the next few evenings we marveled at the interesting, “hammer bird”. As we were about to go to bed two nights ago I noticed something on the kitchen wall moving real fast. Getting focus I was glad it wasn’t a snake, but realized it was a gecko. We decided it was good and ate bugs so we left it alone. The next morning, talking to Darwin, he told us that it was the gecko making the hammer sounding noise. Definitely not a normal thing in Bristow, Oklahoma, but it is slowly becoming more normal to appreciate the service a wild pet gecko can bring.

On the next issue we included a picture. The fruit here is awesome-different colors and shapes. There are some things in the store that we don’t even recognize. But we think the miniature bananas are our new favorite. They taste a lot like a normal one but not quite as strong and are a much better snack size and for some reason are just fun to look at.

Finally, I would like to finish with a story about two young boys about 8 or 9 years old. After working on the church for most of the day we went to the local dirt soccer field behind the church to watch some soccer. As we sat there two boys came up and started talking. They made their way into our laps and were just kind of talking when in mid-sentence the boy in my lap said, hey and made me stop talking. He made me open my mouth and looked at my teeth then talked to his buddy. The boys were clearly examining our teeth pretty intensely. I said, “Yes, I have a bad tooth on the bottom.” But that isn’t what they noticed. The scrutiny of Rachel’s teeth was getting intense by this time. Finally, the boys hollered something I didn’t understand and both fell to the ground laughing. Rachel explained to me that they had said, “THEY LOOK LIKE RABITTS, THEIR TEETH ARE HUGE!” Rachel and I laughed for 5 minutes and still laugh talking about that story. Honduran teeth are a little small than Rachel’s and I’s… as you might have guessed. In all these differences we encounter it is clear to see that God has a great sense of humor and we are continually blessed to be working in Honduras.

3 comments:

jessica said...

You're a natural at blogging! I knew I would instantly know when it was you posting instead of Rachel because the post would include a story about food!

Love and miss you guys. See you in three weeks! We got our passports back and I am reserving our flights today.

Tamara said...

I love your stories. It seems the Honduran people are a little bit closer to nature than we are here.

If the kids thought you guys teeth were funny, they will be blown away when they see the all of the Bristow Group's big, beautiful teeth.

Tamara said...

Will & Rachel,

Joel & Jennah were looking at your blog wih me & wanted to know "Are there monkey's in Honduras that eat those cute little bananas?"